Monday, January 25, 2010

January 25, 2010 Photo of the Day - Tolupan Baskets


I bought these baskets on my second mission trip to Honduras. They are hand crafted by a small tribe of Indians that lives in the mountains of Honduras, the Tolupans. They are very poor, and harvest grasses to craft these beautiful and sturdy baskets. Thought to have migrated to Honduras from the Sioux Indians in the southwest United States, their language is closely related to that of the Sioux. My friends, Clarence and Shirley, who were serving as full time missionaries in Honduras met these gentle people and bought the baskets knowing me and my little group were coming soon and would be pleased to have such unique souvineers. These are displayed behind glass doors in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment