Thursday, February 12, 2009

A little R&R for R&R-Celebrating 25 years




Yes, it's true. Randy and I just celebrated a big milestone, our 25th Wedding Anniversary. I was feelin' pretty cool about it until one of my friends, who was my maid of honor at the wedding (love you RK) congratulated me on our Silver Anniversary. Silver! Wow! That's where the old folks have a party and serve a wedding cake with a big silver 25 on the topper. That's just not us! We're still young....aren't we?

Now let me point out that we were only kids when we got married. Wee children mind you. I was all of 17, and he was 19. (If you're doing math in your head, let me save you the trouble, I'm 42--are you happy now?) Let me also point out that life would have been much easier if we had waited until we were older. Thankfully we don't have kids to try to convince of that fact. Also, we were raised in a very different "neck of the woods" where it wasn't really uncommon for people to get married that young. OK, I think I'm through pointing things out.

Anyhow, being busy modern people....and young and adventurous to boot...we decided to celebrate, but didn't really have the time. We have a trip to Charleston planned later in the year when we can both get free, but it didn't seem right to let the "actual day" come and go with no acknowledgement.

I was looking for somewhere to sneak off for an overnight stay when I stumbled across http://www.pilotknobinn.com/ and found the cutest little log cabins for rent, almost in our back door. It's little tobacco barns that have been renovated. I didn't tell Randy what I was doing, but made the arrangements, pretended to be going in to work for the day and snuck back home to pack and finalize everything. I had a friend "steal" his vehicle, and whisked him away-a.k.a. kidnapped him- for a mini vacation.

We had the best time! This place has a beautiful setting, on a dirt road in the woods (a lot like where I grew up, but it even had indoor plumbing, unlike our house when I was a babe.) There were hiking trails, a small swinging bridge, a darling little front porch with rocking chairs, a two person tub and a real wood burning fireplace. It was a little piece of heaven. And don't get me started about the breakfast they served...wow. I mean WOW!

Before you ask, I took the photos myself using the self timer on my camera. I didn't have my tripod so I don't want to tell you the crazy things I did to perch that camera in a workable spot. That's some of that "don't try this at home" stuff.

We will be looking for excuses to go back, because anyplace this beautiful in the wintertime must be something else at other times of the year. Thanks Jennifer and Will for making our stay extra-special. We'll be back! And we know you'll leave the porch light on for us.


By the way, Randy and I decided to renew that marriage license for another 25 years. We're still pretty fond of each other. It may sound like a cliche, but it's awfully nice to be married to your best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment